Message from the Superintendent
Like all school districts in the nation, Holly Springs School District is developing a plan to reopen and restart our schools.
Considerations for reopening the schools included the following:
- Maintaining the safety of students and staff as it relates to the coronavirus
- Providing instructional support to ensure students continue to learn to prevent major learning gaps
- Providing social and emotional supports that many of our students receive at school
- Continuing to support our parents so that that they will not have to take on the burden of educating our students during these difficult times
On June 25, 2020, the Holly Springs School Board approved a Hybrid Model for the beginning of the school year as part of a reopening plan. A Hybrid model is where students come to school to receive face-to-face instruction some days during the week and participate in virtual instruction from home the other days. For example, Kindergarten and 1st Grade may come to school on Monday and Wednesday and complete virual instruction from home the other days of the week. This is just an example.
This model is only being recommended for the beginning of the school year. The district will evaluate the plan after the first two months of school. The District would like to emphasize that this is an evolving situation and the district will take whatever steps that are in the best interest of our students and staff. If the Governor, Legislature, Center for Disease Control or Local Health Agency recommend full virtual instruction, the district will follow the recommendation.
Some of the most important reasons for choosing the Hybrid Model include the following:
- The Hybrid Model will allow for a reduced number of students in a classroom as well as allow for screening, social distancing and other guidelines recommended by the Center for Disease Control.
- The Hybrid Model will allow school staff to better clean and sanitize buildings, buses, and other areas.
- The Hybrid Model will allow students to receive face-to-face instruction from teachers in order to master grade-level information which will be critical to their success in the future.
- The Hybrid Model will allow students to receive social and emotional support while at school.
- The Hybrid Model will assist parents with support in the educational process.
A comprehensive plan will be developed by July 17, 2020. Parent meetings will be scheduled to provide more details and allow parents to ask specific questions. If you have questions related to this correspondence, please do not hesitate to contact me at 662.252.2183.
Irene Walton Turnage, Superintendent